March 19, 1895 Clatonia Joaquin Dorticus of Newton, New Jersey received patent number 535,820 for a device for applying coloring liquids to sides of soles or heels of shoes.
February 2, 1897 Alfred L. Cralle received patent # 576,395 for a lever operated ice cream scoop, a design still widely used today. Cralle was born September 4, 1866 in Kenbridge, Virginia and as a young man became interested in mechanics. Part of his education was completed at Wayland Seminary in DC. Later, he moved […]
November 20, 1923 Garrett Augustus Morgan, Sr. received patent number 1,475,024 for his version of the traffic signal. Morgan was born March 4, 1877 in Paris, Kentucky. In 1895, he moved to Cleveland, Ohio where he worked repairing sewing machines for a clothing manufacturer. In 1907, he opened his own sewing machine and shoe repair […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- June 4th in African American History – Arna Wendell Bontemps
- February 3rd in African American History – Edwin Bancroft Henderson
- July 26th in African American History – Mary Esther Wells
- September 22nd in African American History – Robert Lee Satcher, Jr.
- August 9th in African American History – Isaac Lee Hayes, Jr.