March 19, 1895 Clatonia Joaquin Dorticus of Newton, New Jersey received patent number 535,820 for a device for applying coloring liquids to sides of soles or heels of shoes.
March 19, 1894 Loretta Mary Aiken (Jackie “Moms” Mabley), stand-up comedienne, was born in Brevard, North Carolina. At the age of 15, Mabley ran away to Cleveland, Ohio with a travelling minstrel show where she began singing and entertaining. By the 1950s, she was one of the top women doing stand-up and earning $10,000 per […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- January 16th in African American History – Aaliyah Dana Houghton
- February 19th in African American History – Virginia Hamilton
- August 16th in African American History – Dorothy West
- Joseph “Cyclone Joe” Williams – February 25th in African American History
- February 18th in African American History – Frank M. Snowden, Jr.