March 19, 1895 Clatonia Joaquin Dorticus of Newton, New Jersey received patent number 535,820 for a device for applying coloring liquids to sides of soles or heels of shoes.
March 19, 1894 Loretta Mary Aiken (Jackie “Moms” Mabley), stand-up comedienne, was born in Brevard, North Carolina. At the age of 15, Mabley ran away to Cleveland, Ohio with a travelling minstrel show where she began singing and entertaining. By the 1950s, she was one of the top women doing stand-up and earning $10,000 per […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- November 11th in African American History – Delores LaVern Baker
- July 25th in African American History – Willie Mae “Big Mama” Thornton
- January 22nd in African American History – James Anderson, Jr.
- Franklin Delano Raines – January 14th in African American History
- September 20th in African American History – Ferdinand Joseph LaMothe (Jelly Roll Morton)