March 19, 1895 Clatonia Joaquin Dorticus of Newton, New Jersey received patent number 535,820 for a device for applying coloring liquids to sides of soles or heels of shoes.
March 19, 1894 Loretta Mary Aiken (Jackie “Moms” Mabley), stand-up comedienne, was born in Brevard, North Carolina. At the age of 15, Mabley ran away to Cleveland, Ohio with a travelling minstrel show where she began singing and entertaining. By the 1950s, she was one of the top women doing stand-up and earning $10,000 per […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- January 7th in African American History – Lowell W. Perry
- Melvin Beaunorus Tolson – February 6th in African American History
- September 7th in African American History – James Madison Nabrit, Jr.
- James H. Harris – February 18th in African American History
- Djimon Gaston Hounsou – April 24th in African American History