On April 17, 2009, Green was honored by the Red Sox in a first-pitch ceremony, in recognition of 50 years since his breaking of the Red Sox color barrier.
July 21st in African American History – Elijah Jerry “Pumpsie” Green
About Chimsima Zuhri
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Henry Jay Lewis – January 26th in African American History
- October 22nd in African American History – Cleavon Jake Little
- Jerome Heartwell “Brud” Holland – January 13th in African American History
- September 3rd in African American History – Jeff Chandler
- September 22nd in African American History – Robert Lee Satcher, Jr.
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer