September 6, 2007 Allan Rohan Crite, Harlem Renaissance painter, died. Crite was born March 20, 1910 in North Plainfield, New Jersey. He graduated from the Boston School of the Museum of Fine Arts in 1936 and earned his Bachelor of Liberal Arts from Harvard University in 1968.
April 2, 1995 Julius Arthur Hemphill, jazz composer and saxophone player, died. Hemphill was born January 24, 1938 in Fort Worth, Texas. He joined the United States Army in 1964 and served for several years. In 1968, Hemphill moved to St. Louis, Missouri and co-founded the Black Artists’ Group, a multi-disciplinary arts collective. He moved […]
March 26, 1962 Augusta Fells Savage, Harlem Renaissance sculptor, died. Savage was born February 29, 1892 in Green Cove Springs, Florida. In 1921, she was admitted to Cooper Union Art School in New York City. In 1923, she applied for an art program sponsored by the French government but was turned down by the international […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- March 13th in African American History – Anne Wiggins Brown
- May 3rd in African American History – Billy Higgins
- November 6th in African American History – Juanita Hall
- October 8th in African American History – John B. McLendon, Jr.
- February 4th in African American History – Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith