January 24, 1900 Wilson Brown, Medal of Honor recipient, died. Brown was born in 1841 in Natchez, Mississippi. During the Civil War, he enlisted in the Union Navy and was assigned as a landsman to the USS Hartford.
April 2, 1995 Julius Arthur Hemphill, jazz composer and saxophone player, died. Hemphill was born January 24, 1938 in Fort Worth, Texas. He joined the United States Army in 1964 and served for several years. In 1968, Hemphill moved to St. Louis, Missouri and co-founded the Black Artists’ Group, a multi-disciplinary arts collective. He moved […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- May 11th in African American History – Floyd Patterson
- February 22nd in African American History – Ishmael Scott Reed
- March 23rd in African American History – Moses Eugene Malone
- December 27th in African American History – James Madison Nabrit, Jr.
- April 18h in African American History – Clarence Edward “Big House” Gaines, Sr.