February 28, 1967 Matthew Leonard, Medal of Honor recipient, died in action. Leonard was born November 26, 1929 in Eutaw, Alabama and served in the United States Army during the Korean and Vietnam Wars.
December 19, 1968 President Lyndon B. Johnson presented the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military decoration, to the family of Matthew Leonard for his actions during the Vietnam War. Leonard was born November 26, 1929 in Eutaw, Alabama. He served in the United States Army during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. On February 28, 1967, […]
August 29, 1920 Charles “Bird” Parker, Jr., jazz saxophonist and composer, was born in Kansas City, Kansas. Parker began playing the saxophone at age 11 and by 1938 was touring nightclubs and other venues in the southwest. In 1939, Parker moved to New York City where on November 26, 1945 he led a recording session […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- May 4th in African American History – Ron Carter
- March 9th in African American History – Matthew Alexander Henson
- August 11th in African American History – Bud Billiken Parade and Picnic
- August 26th in African American History – Branford Marsalis
- October 22nd in African American History – Samuel Lee Gravely, Jr.