December 14, 1963 Dinah Washington, blues and jazz singer, died. Washington was born Ruth Lee Jones on August 29, 1924 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. As a child, Washington played the piano and directed her church choir and by 16 she was touring the United States on the black gospel circuit. During this period, she performed in […]
June 25, 2009 Michael Joseph Jackson, the “King of Pop,” died. Jackson was born August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He made his professional debut in 1964 as a member of the Jackson 5. In 1968, they signed with Motown Records and their first four singles, “I Want You Back” (1969), “ABC” (1970), “The Love […]
August 29, 1920 Charles “Bird” Parker, Jr., jazz saxophonist and composer, was born in Kansas City, Kansas. Parker began playing the saxophone at age 11 and by 1938 was touring nightclubs and other venues in the southwest. In 1939, Parker moved to New York City where on November 26, 1945 he led a recording session […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- February 6th in African American History – Arthur Robert Ashe, Jr.
- June 6th in African American History – Tommie Smith
- January 3rd in African American History – Samuel Leamon Younge, Jr.
- November 4th in African American History – Sean John “Diddy” Combs
- January 10th in African American History – James Forman