February 19, 1972 Edward Lee Morgan, jazz trumpeter, was murdered. Morgan was born July 10, 1938 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Morgan received his first trumpet at the age of 13 and at 18 joined Dizzy Gillespie’s big band where he was a member for 18 months.
December 17, 1975 Noble Sissle, composer, lyricist, bandleader, and playwright, died. Sissle was born July 10, 1889 in Indianapolis, Indiana. At an early age, he started singing in the church choir and as a teenager toured the Midwest as part of a gospel quartet. In 1915, he met Eubie Blake and they formed a vaudeville […]
July 10, 1863, marks the incorporation date of Wilberforce University, the first private institution of higher education for African Americans. Wilberforce University actually has a history that pre-dates this important milestone. Before the Civil War began in 1861, the school was a site of abolitionist activity and education for African Americans. Methodist abolitionists founded the […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- October 2nd in African American History – Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr.
- February 9th in African American History – Paul Laurence Dunbar
- October 1st in African American History – Joseph Black
- December 30th in African American History – Elias Otha Bates (Bo Diddley)
- Angela Yvonne Davis – January 26th in African American History