December 17, 1975 Noble Sissle, composer, lyricist, bandleader, and playwright, died. Sissle was born July 10, 1889 in Indianapolis, Indiana. At an early age, he started singing in the church choir and as a teenager toured the Midwest as part of a gospel quartet. In 1915, he met Eubie Blake and they formed a vaudeville […]
Tag Archives | December 17
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- November 6th in African American History – Barack Obama Wins Re-election for President
- March 5th in African American History – Robert Henry Jenkins, Jr.
- December 14th in African American History – Aloyisus Leon Higginbotham, Jr.
- October 13th in African American History – Jesse LeRoy Brown
- August 14th in African American History – Abbey Lincoln
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer