February 19, 1972 Edward Lee Morgan, jazz trumpeter, was murdered. Morgan was born July 10, 1938 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Morgan received his first trumpet at the age of 13 and at 18 joined Dizzy Gillespie’s big band where he was a member for 18 months.
February 19, 1890 Isaiah Mays received the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military decoration, for his actions during an engagement with robbers. Mays was born enslaved on February 16, 1858 in Carters Bridge, Virginia. By May 11, 1889, he was serving as a corporal in Company B of the 24th Infantry Regiment.
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- James Baskett – February 16th in African American History
- December 20th in African American History – Leopold Sedar Senghor
- Barak Obama’s 2nd Term Inauguration on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – January 21st in African American History
- September 18th in African American History – Booker T. Washington
- William Edouard Scott – March 11th in African American History