February 19, 1972 Edward Lee Morgan, jazz trumpeter, was murdered. Morgan was born July 10, 1938 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Morgan received his first trumpet at the age of 13 and at 18 joined Dizzy Gillespie’s big band where he was a member for 18 months.
February 19, 1890 Isaiah Mays received the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military decoration, for his actions during an engagement with robbers. Mays was born enslaved on February 16, 1858 in Carters Bridge, Virginia. By May 11, 1889, he was serving as a corporal in Company B of the 24th Infantry Regiment.
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- May 12th in African American History – Oscar Stanton De Priest
- February 29th in African American History – Willi Donnell Smith
- February 21st in African American History – El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz (Malcolm X)
- October 12th in African American History – Eugene Jacques Bullard
- December 22nd in African American History – Jerry Pickney