February 19, 1972 Edward Lee Morgan, jazz trumpeter, was murdered. Morgan was born July 10, 1938 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Morgan received his first trumpet at the age of 13 and at 18 joined Dizzy Gillespie’s big band where he was a member for 18 months.
February 19, 1890 Isaiah Mays received the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military decoration, for his actions during an engagement with robbers. Mays was born enslaved on February 16, 1858 in Carters Bridge, Virginia. By May 11, 1889, he was serving as a corporal in Company B of the 24th Infantry Regiment.
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- October 3rd in African American History – India Arie Simpson (India.Arie)
- September 23rd in African American History – Ray Charles Robinson
- November 15th in African American History – Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael)
- August 10th in African American History – Henry Cabot Lodge Bohler
- October 14th in African American History – William Boyd Allison Davis