February 19, 1890 Isaiah Mays received the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military decoration, for his actions during an engagement with robbers. Mays was born enslaved on February 16, 1858 in Carters Bridge, Virginia. By May 11, 1889, he was serving as a corporal in Company B of the 24th Infantry Regiment.
January 4, 1935 Floyd Patterson, hall of fame boxer, was born in Waco, North Carolina. Patterson started boxing at the age of 14 and won the Gold medal at the 1952 Helsinki Olympic Games as a middleweight. Following the Olympics, Patterson turned professional and on November 30, 1956 became the youngest world heavyweight champion in […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- March 3rd in African American History – Jacqueline Joyner-Kersee
- Isaiah Mays – February 16th in African American History
- July 17th in African American History – John William Coltrane
- November 20th in African American History – Garrett Augustus Morgan, Sr.
- March 24th in African American History – Dorothy Irene Height