February 19, 1890 Isaiah Mays received the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military decoration, for his actions during an engagement with robbers. Mays was born enslaved on February 16, 1858 in Carters Bridge, Virginia. By May 11, 1889, he was serving as a corporal in Company B of the 24th Infantry Regiment.
April 11, 2007 Roscoe Lee Browne, actor and director, died. Browne was born May 2, 1925 in Woodbury, New Jersey. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Lincoln University in 1946 and in 1949 won the Amateur Athletic Union 1,000-yard national indoor track championship. Browne began his acting career with the Shakespeare Festival Theater and in […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- June 10th in African American History – John Arthur “Jack” Johnson
- Franklin Delano Raines – January 14th in African American History
- December 4th in African American History – Fred Hampton, Sr.
- September 26th in African American History – Martha Minerva Franklin
- October 14th in African American History – Julius Kambarage Nyerere