February 19, 1890 Isaiah Mays received the Medal of Honor, America’s highest military decoration, for his actions during an engagement with robbers. Mays was born enslaved on February 16, 1858 in Carters Bridge, Virginia. By May 11, 1889, he was serving as a corporal in Company B of the 24th Infantry Regiment.
April 11, 2007 Roscoe Lee Browne, actor and director, died. Browne was born May 2, 1925 in Woodbury, New Jersey. He earned a bachelor’s degree from Lincoln University in 1946 and in 1949 won the Amateur Athletic Union 1,000-yard national indoor track championship. Browne began his acting career with the Shakespeare Festival Theater and in […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- March 1st in African American History – Harold George “Harry” Belafonte, Jr.
- September 26th in African American History – Betty Carter
- May 11th in African American History – Nnamdi Azikiwe
- James Weldon Johnson – June 26th in African American History
- November 12th in African American History – Eugene Antonio Marino