February 13, 2003 Kid Gavilan, hall of fame boxer, died. Gavilan was born Gerardo Gonzalez on January 6, 1926 in Camaguey, Cuba. He started boxing professionally in 1943 and won the World Welterweight Championship in 1951.
January 6, 1993 John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie, jazz trumpeter, bandleader, singer, and composer, died. Gillespie was born October 21, 1917 in Cheraw, South Carolina. By the age of four, he had started to play the piano. He also taught himself to play the trombone and the trumpet. His first professional job was with the Frank […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Archibald Carey, Sr. – March 23rd in African American History
- February 6th in African American History – Arthur Robert Ashe, Jr.
- February 22nd in African American History – Lawrence Joel
- November 17th in African American History – Esther Rolle
- February 3rd in African American History – Eduardo Chivambo Mondlane