February 13, 2003 Kid Gavilan, hall of fame boxer, died. Gavilan was born Gerardo Gonzalez on January 6, 1926 in Camaguey, Cuba. He started boxing professionally in 1943 and won the World Welterweight Championship in 1951.
January 6, 1993 John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie, jazz trumpeter, bandleader, singer, and composer, died. Gillespie was born October 21, 1917 in Cheraw, South Carolina. By the age of four, he had started to play the piano. He also taught himself to play the trombone and the trumpet. His first professional job was with the Frank […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- The Southern Christian Leadership Conference – January 10th in African American History
- December 27th in African American History – Vincent Dacosta Smith
- November 8th in African American History – Lester Bowie
- October 2nd in African American History – Robert Henry Lawrence, Jr.
- Frederick Rudolph “Fred” Dean – February 24th in African American History