January 6, 1993 John Birks “Dizzy” Gillespie, jazz trumpeter, bandleader, singer, and composer, died. Gillespie was born October 21, 1917 in Cheraw, South Carolina. By the age of four, he had started to play the piano. He also taught himself to play the trombone and the trumpet. His first professional job was with the Frank […]
Tag Archives | October 21
By Chimsima Zuhri on January 6, 2014 in African American History, January, Music
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- February 5th in African American History – Henry Louis “Hank” Aaron
- Maurice Stokes – April 6th in African American History
- September 7th in African American History – James Madison Nabrit, Jr.
- March 12th in African American History – Andrew Jackson Young
- February 6th in African American History – Arthur Robert Ashe, Jr.
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer