January 9, 1923 Richard Bowie Spikes of Fort Bragg, California received patent number 1441383 for a brake testing machine. His invention tested the efficiency or power of the brake and recorded the results of the test. Little is known of Spikes’ life except that he was born December 4, 1884 and was an incredible inventor.
January 2, 1936 Paul Douglas Freeman, conductor and music director, was born in Richmond, Virginia. Freeman started piano lessons at the age of five and soon after also started playing the clarinet. He earned his Bachelor of Music degree in 1956, his Master of Music degree in 1957, and his Ph. D. in 1963, all […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- January 1st in African American History – Derrick Vincent Thomas
- Sarah Lois Vaughan – April 3rd in African American History
- February 26th in African American History – Marshall William Faulk
- March 14th in African American History – Fannie Lou Townsend Hamer
- March 5th in African American History – Charles Henry Fuller, Jr.