January 9, 1923 Richard Bowie Spikes of Fort Bragg, California received patent number 1441383 for a brake testing machine. His invention tested the efficiency or power of the brake and recorded the results of the test. Little is known of Spikes’ life except that he was born December 4, 1884 and was an incredible inventor.
June 28, 1947 Mark Clark, assassinated Black Panther leader, was born in Peoria, Illinois. At an early age, Clark became active with the NAACP and joined in demonstrations against discrimination in housing, employment, and education. In the mid-1960s, he joined the Black Panther Party and later organized a chapter in Peoria with a free breakfast […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- March 5th in African American History – Charles Henry Fuller, Jr.
- July 6th in African American History – Harvey Fuqua
- January 21st in African American History – Fannie Jackson Coppin
- October 22nd in African American History – Milton Lee Olive, III
- February 1st in African American History – Michael Phillip Anderson