January 9, 1923 Richard Bowie Spikes of Fort Bragg, California received patent number 1441383 for a brake testing machine. His invention tested the efficiency or power of the brake and recorded the results of the test. Little is known of Spikes’ life except that he was born December 4, 1884 and was an incredible inventor.
Tag Archives | November 28
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- May 8th in African American History – Ronald “Ronnie” Mandel Lott
- December 18th in African American History – Raiford Chatman “Ossie” Davis
- March 3rd in African American History – Jacqueline Joyner-Kersee
- March 19th in African American History – Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr.
- Archibald John Motley, Jr. – January 16th in African American History
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer