February 8, 1924 Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher, the first African American to attend law school in Oklahoma, was born in Chickasha, Oklahoma. Fisher graduated from Langston University with honors in 1945. In 1946, she applied for admission to the University of Oklahoma School of Law, but was denied because of her race.
Tag Archives | February 8
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Cecil Percival Taylor – March 15th in African American History
- September 30th in African American History – Franklin Joseph “Frankie” Lymon
- August 13th in African American History – Caterina Jarboro
- January 14th in African American History – John Earl Warren, Jr.
- Charles Howard Wright – March 7th in African American History
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer