February 8, 1924 Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher, the first African American to attend law school in Oklahoma, was born in Chickasha, Oklahoma. Fisher graduated from Langston University with honors in 1945. In 1946, she applied for admission to the University of Oklahoma School of Law, but was denied because of her race.
January 12, 1956 Sam Langford, hall of fame boxer and, according to ESPN, “the greatest fighter nobody knows,” died. Langford was born March 4, 1883 in Weymouth Falls, Nova Scotia, Canada. Although he was only 5 feet 6 ½ inches tall and weighed 185 pounds, Langford fought greats from the lightweight division to the heavyweight […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- July 11th in African American History – Walter Hawkins
- Octavia Estelle Butler – June 22nd in African American History
- September 12th in African American History – Jennifer Kate Hudson
- August 21st in African American History – James Anderson, Jr.
- February 12th in African American History – James Herbert “Eubie” Blake