February 8, 1924 Ada Lois Sipuel Fisher, the first African American to attend law school in Oklahoma, was born in Chickasha, Oklahoma. Fisher graduated from Langston University with honors in 1945. In 1946, she applied for admission to the University of Oklahoma School of Law, but was denied because of her race.
February 6, 1898 Melvin Beaunorus Tolson, educator and poet, was born in Moberly, Missouri. Tolson earned his Bachelor of Arts degree with honors from Lincoln University in 1923 and his Master of Arts degree in English and comparative literature from Columbia University in 1940. Shortly after receiving his undergraduate degree, Tolson took a position as […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Walter Ellis Mosley – January 12th in African American History
- February 6th in African American History – Arthur Robert Ashe, Jr.
- Thelma Lucille Sayles (Lucille Clifton) – June 27th in African American History
- Isaac Burns Murphy – February 12th in African American History
- March 23rd in African American History – Maynard Holbrook Jackson, Jr.