March 16, 1884 James H. Bronson, Medal of Honor recipient, died. Bronson was born enslaved in 1838 in Indiana County, Pennsylvania.
April 6, 1937 William December “Billy Dee” Williams, Jr., actor and artist, was born in New York City. Williams graduated from Manhattan’s School of Performing Arts and first appeared on Broadway in 1945 in “The Firebrand of Florence.” Other Broadway appearances include “A Taste of Honey” (1961), “I Have a Dream” (1976), and “Fences” (1988). […]
April 6, 1970 Maurice Stokes, hall of fame basketball player, died. Stokes was born June 17, 1933 in Rankin, Pennsylvania. He played basketball for Saint Francis University and graduated in 1955. He was named the Most Valuable Player of the 1955 National Invitational Basketball Tournament. In the 1955 NBA Draft, he was selected by the […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- June 15th in African American History – William Arthur Lewis
- March 23rd in African American History – Maynard Holbrook Jackson, Jr.
- December 7th in African American History – Marjorie Stewart Joyner
- March 6th in African American History – John Leslie “Wes” Montgomery
- Aaron Douglas – February 3rd in African American History