March 16, 1884 James H. Bronson, Medal of Honor recipient, died. Bronson was born enslaved in 1838 in Indiana County, Pennsylvania.
March 16, 1877 Thomas Wyatt Turner, biologist, educator and civil rights activist, was born in Hughsville, Maryland. Wyatt attended local Episcopal schools because Catholic schools refused to admit him because of his race. He earned his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees from Howard University in 1901 and 1905, respectively. From 1902 to […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- July 16th in African American History – John Henrik Clarke
- July 17th in African American History – Harold Robert Perry
- February 1st in African American History – James Mercer Langston Hughes
- March 23rd in African American History – Moses Eugene Malone
- June 7th in African American History – James Byrd, Jr.