April 28, 2005 Percy Heath, jazz bassist, died. Heath was born April 30, 1923 in Wilmington, North Carolina but raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He started playing the violin and singing at the age of eight. Heath was drafted into the United States Army in 1944 and became a member of the Tuskegee Airmen. After World […]
April 28, 2008 Will Robinson, the first African American head basketball coach at a Division I college, died. Robinson was born June 3, 1911 in Wadesboro, North Carolina. As a high school student, he finished second in the state golf tournament despite not being allowed on the course with the white players. Robinson lettered in […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Jackie Robinson #42 – April 15th in African American History
- December 23rd in African American History – William Vernell “Willie” Wood, Sr.
- October 18th in African American History – Charles Edward “Chuck” Berry
- August 9th in African American History – Isaac Lee Hayes, Jr.
- August 27th in African American History – Francis Gregory Morris