April 30, 1971 Dwight Hal Johnson, Medal of Honor recipient, died. Johnson was born May 7, 1947 in Detroit, Michigan. He was drafted into the United States Army in 1967 and in June, 1968 was serving in Company B, 1st Battalion, 69th Armor, 4th Infantry Division in the Republic of Vietnam. His citation partially reads: […]
April 30, 1983 McKinley Morganfield (Muddy Waters), blues musician and “the father of Chicago Blues,” died. Waters was born April 4, 1913 in Issaquena County, Mississippi. He started out playing the harmonica but by age 17 he was playing the guitar at parties. In 1943, Waters moved to Chicago and drove a truck and worked […]
April 28, 2005 Percy Heath, jazz bassist, died. Heath was born April 30, 1923 in Wilmington, North Carolina but raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He started playing the violin and singing at the age of eight. Heath was drafted into the United States Army in 1944 and became a member of the Tuskegee Airmen. After World […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- November 20th in African American History – Garrett Augustus Morgan, Sr.
- Will Robinson – April 28th in African American History
- February 18th in African American History – Frank M. Snowden, Jr.
- Ruppert Leon Sargent – January 6th in African American History
- October 3rd in African American History – India Arie Simpson (India.Arie)