February 19, 1972 Edward Lee Morgan, jazz trumpeter, was murdered. Morgan was born July 10, 1938 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Morgan received his first trumpet at the age of 13 and at 18 joined Dizzy Gillespie’s big band where he was a member for 18 months.
Archive | February 19, 2015
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- September 27th in African American History – Francis Gregory Alan Morris
- November 15th in African American History – Kwame Ture (Stokely Carmichael)
- July 9th in African American History – James L. Farmer, Jr.
- September 11th in African American History – James Charles Evers
- January 25th in African American History – Sarah Louise “Sadie” Delany
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer