February 13, 1882 Henry Highland Garnet, orator and abolitionist, died. Garnet was born enslaved on December 23, 1815 in New Market, Maryland. In 1824, Garnet’s family escaped to freedom in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They subsequently moved to New York City where from 1826 to 1833 Garnet attended the African Free School and the Phoenix High School […]
Archive | February 13, 2015
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- February 14th in African American History – Gregory Oliver Hines
- September 22nd in African American History – Jeremiah Alvesta Wright, Jr.
- December 23rd in African American History – William Vernell “Willie” Wood, Sr.
- March 27th in African American History – Mariah Carey
- October 25th in African American History – Abebe Bikila
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer