February 13, 1882 Henry Highland Garnet, orator and abolitionist, died. Garnet was born enslaved on December 23, 1815 in New Market, Maryland. In 1824, Garnet’s family escaped to freedom in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They subsequently moved to New York City where from 1826 to 1833 Garnet attended the African Free School and the Phoenix High School […]
February 12, 1865 Henry Highland Garnet became the first black minister to preach to the United States House of Representatives when he spoke about the end of slavery. Garnet was born enslaved on December 23, 1815 near New Market, Maryland. In 1824, his family escaped to freedom in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- May 27th in African American History – Doris “Dorie” Miller
- May 7th in African American History – Thelma Jackson Houston
- October 17th in African American History – Lerone Bennett, Jr.
- October 14th in African American History – Julius Kambarage Nyerere
- August 14th in African American History – Maria Halle Berry