On August 28, 1844, George Boyer Vashon graduated from Oberlin College. This was historically significant, because he was the first black student ever to graduate from Oberlin. He received valedictorian honors. George Boyer Vashon was born on July 25, 1824 in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He was the only son and youngest child of his parents, John […]
February 12, 1865 Henry Highland Garnet became the first black minister to preach to the United States House of Representatives when he spoke about the end of slavery. Garnet was born enslaved on December 23, 1815 near New Market, Maryland. In 1824, his family escaped to freedom in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- December 27th in African American History – James Madison Nabrit, Jr.
- September 22nd in African American History – Jeremiah Alvesta Wright, Jr.
- October 8th in African American History – Albertina Walker
- Henry Jay Lewis – January 26th in African American History
- August 28th in African American History – March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom