August 13, 1982 Shani Davis, speed skater and the first black athlete to win a Gold Medal in an individual Olympic Winter Games sport, was born in Chicago, Illinois. Davis learned to roller skate at the age of two and at six years old was enrolled at the Evanston Speed Skating Club. At 16, Davis […]
Tag Archives | speed skater
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- February 25th in African American History – Daniel “Chappie” James, Jr.
- July 10th in African American History – Arthur Robert Ashe, Jr.
- Negro History Week – February 7th in African American History
- November 27th in African American History – Walter Fenner “Buck” Leonard
- February 27th in African American History – Dexter Keith Gordon
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer