October 17, 1928, Lerone Bennett, Jr., scholar, author and social historian, was born in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Bennett earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Morehouse College in 1949 and served in the United States Army from 1951 to 1952. He joined Ebony Magazine in 1954 and for decades served as executive editor. Bennett is the […]
Tag Archives | social historian
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- December 18th in African American History – Benjamin Oliver Davis, Jr.
- William December “Billy Dee” Williams, Jr. – April 6th in African American History
- February 28th in African American History – Edmund Lincoln “Rochester” Anderson
- October 2nd in African American History – Robert Henry Lawrence, Jr.
- Maurice Stokes – April 6th in African American History
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer