February 22, 1922 Joe Wilder, jazz trumpeter, composer, and bandleader, was born in Colwyn, Pennsylvania. Wilder studied at the Mastbaum School of Music, but turned to jazz when he felt there was little opportunity for an African American classical musician.
Tag Archives | Mastbaum School of Music
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- April 22nd in African American History – Earl Kenneth “Fatha” Hines
- October 4th in African American History – Hubert Gerold “H. Rap” Brown
- November 24th in African American History – Webster Anderson
- October 3rd in African American History – Alfred Charles “Al” Sharpton, Jr.
- James Baskett – February 16th in African American History
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer