February 22, 1922 Joe Wilder, jazz trumpeter, composer, and bandleader, was born in Colwyn, Pennsylvania. Wilder studied at the Mastbaum School of Music, but turned to jazz when he felt there was little opportunity for an African American classical musician.
Tag Archives | February 22
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- September 11th in African American History – Taraji Penda Henson
- Charles Hamilton Houston – September 3rd in African American History
- November 27th in African American History – William Karnet Willis
- January 9th in African American History – Earl Gilbert Graves, Sr.
- January 6th in African American History – Louis Emanuel Martin, Jr.
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer