February 22, 1922 Joe Wilder, jazz trumpeter, composer, and bandleader, was born in Colwyn, Pennsylvania. Wilder studied at the Mastbaum School of Music, but turned to jazz when he felt there was little opportunity for an African American classical musician.
August 16, 2007 Maxwell Lemuel Roach, jazz percussionist, drummer and composer, died. Maxwell Roach was born January 10, 1924 in Newland, North Carolina. At the age of 10, Roach was playing drums in gospel bands and by 18 he was playing in jazz clubs. Roach’s most significant innovations came in the 1940s when he devised […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- September 23rd in African American History – Ray Charles Robinson
- March 22nd in African American History – Stephanie Dorthea Mills
- September 30th in African American History – Moneta J. Sleet, Jr.
- October 29th in African American History – Pearl Primus
- March 19th in African American History – Lloyd Lionel Gaines