On June 21, 1927, Carl Stokes was born. One reason we celebrate his birthday is the fact he was the first major American city mayor to be black. Being the first black mayor of a major city in the U.S. is not the only accomplishment that deserves recognition. He was a US Ambassador, an Ohio […]
June 21, in 1832, Joseph Hayne Rainey was born a slave in the rice-growing region of Georgetown, South Carolina. 1832 was a tumultuous time for race relations in America. The Nat Turner Rebellion of August 1831, in which a slave preacher led a band of enslaved men on a killing spree in Virginia, still caused […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- September 29th in African American History – Mabel Fairbanks
- August 21st in African American History – James Anderson, Jr.
- June 17th in African American History – Venus Ebony Starr Williams
- October 17th in African American History – Lerone Bennett, Jr.
- July 29th in African American History – Tidjane Thiam