On June 21, 1927, Carl Stokes was born. One reason we celebrate his birthday is the fact he was the first major American city mayor to be black. Being the first black mayor of a major city in the U.S. is not the only accomplishment that deserves recognition. He was a US Ambassador, an Ohio […]
June 21, in 1832, Joseph Hayne Rainey was born a slave in the rice-growing region of Georgetown, South Carolina. 1832 was a tumultuous time for race relations in America. The Nat Turner Rebellion of August 1831, in which a slave preacher led a band of enslaved men on a killing spree in Virginia, still caused […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- January 5th in African American History – George Washington Carver
- December 2nd in African American History – Odetta Holmes
- Absalom Jones – February 13th in African American History
- January 30th in African American History – Edward Allen Carter, Jr.
- March 2nd in African American History – Frank E. Petersen, Jr.