January 20, 1947 Josh Gibson, Hall of Fame Negro League baseball player, died. Gibson was born December 21, 1911 in Buena Vista, Georgia. He made his professional debut with the Homestead Grays, the preeminent Negro League team of that time, in 1930.
Tag Archives | January 20
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- December 6th in African American History – Frantz Fanon
- November 23rd in African American History – Robin Rene Roberts
- March 12th in African American History – Virginia Hamilton
- December 24th in African American History – Dave Bartholomew
- February 25th in African American History – Daniel “Chappie” James, Jr.
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer