January 20, 1947 Josh Gibson, Hall of Fame Negro League baseball player, died. Gibson was born December 21, 1911 in Buena Vista, Georgia. He made his professional debut with the Homestead Grays, the preeminent Negro League team of that time, in 1930.
December 21, 1958 Harry “The Black Panther” Wills, hall of fame boxer, died. Willis was born May 15, 1889 in New Orleans, Louisiana. He began his professional boxing career in 1911 and fought for over 20 years, often ranked as the number one challenger for the heavyweight title, but never given the opportunity to fight […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- November 30th in African American History – James Arthur Baldwin
- February 21st in African American History – Frederick McKinley Jones
- November 10th in African American History – Gerald Edward Levert
- March 2nd in African American History – Frank E. Petersen, Jr.
- November 27th in African American History – Walter Fenner “Buck” Leonard