January 18, 1967 Reece “Goose” Tatum, Hall of Fame basketball player, died. Tatum was born May 31, 1921 in El Dorado, Arkansas. In high school, he played baseball, football, and basketball. He played Negro league baseball from 1937 to 1949 and was a co-owner of the Detroit Clowns baseball team in the late 1950s.
November 9, 1935 Pack Robert “Bob” Gibson, baseball Hall of Fame pitcher, was born in Omaha, Nebraska. Despite a childhood filled with medical problems, Gibson was active in sports and won a basketball scholarship to Creighton University.
October 12, 1999 Wilton Norman “Wilt” Chamberlain, hall of fame professional basketball player, died. Chamberlain was born August 21, 1936 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was 6 feet 11 inches when he entered high school and used that advantage as a prolific scorer throughout his high school and college career. After his junior year of college, […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- September 11th in African American History – Taraji Penda Henson
- January 7th in African American History – Lowell W. Perry
- June 5th in African American History – Henderson v. United States
- October 3rd in African American History – India Arie Simpson (India.Arie)
- December 29th in African American History – Frederick Dewayne “Freddie” Hubbard