January 18, 1967 Reece “Goose” Tatum, Hall of Fame basketball player, died. Tatum was born May 31, 1921 in El Dorado, Arkansas. In high school, he played baseball, football, and basketball. He played Negro league baseball from 1937 to 1949 and was a co-owner of the Detroit Clowns baseball team in the late 1950s.
Tag Archives | January 18
By Chimsima Zuhri on January 18, 2014 in African American History, January, Military, Sports
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Jackie Robinson #42 – April 15th in African American History
- April 19th in African American History – Percy Lavon Julian
- December 27th in African American History – James Madison Nabrit, Jr.
- February 16th in African American History – Jerome Abram “The Bus” Bettis
- March 17th in African American History – Elizabeth Louise “Betty” Allen
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer