June 3rd, in 1949, Wesley A Brown graduated from the US Naval Academy, becoming the first African American to do so. The Annapolis Naval Academy had never, before this date, witnessed an African American succeed beyond the first academic year. Brown received his commission as a naval officer on this momentous occasion, joining one of […]
Tag Archives | May 22
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- November 22nd in African American History – Guion “Guy” Bluford, Jr.
- March 5th in African American History – Charles Henry Fuller, Jr.
- August 1st in African American History – Ronald Harmon Brown
- November 6th in African American History – Thandiwe Adjewa Thandie Newton
- May 22nd in African American History – James Mercer Langston Hughes
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer