March 10, 1908 Vernon Ferdinand Dahmer, Sr., civil rights leader, was born in Forrest County, Mississippi. A successful businessman, Dahmer owned a store, sawmill, and a 200 acre farm. He served several terms as president of the Forrest County Chapter of the NAACP and led voter registration drives during the 1960s.
March 10, 1956 Larry Myricks, hall of fame track and field athlete, was born in Clinton, Mississippi. Myricks competed for Mississippi College and was the 1976 and 1979 NCAA long jump champion. He also earned his Bachelor of Science degree in management and marketing in 1979. Myricks qualified for the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games, but […]
April 9, 1938 Augustus Walley, Medal of Honor recipient, died. Walley was born March 10, 1856 in Reistertown, Maryland. On August 16, 1881, he was serving as a private in Company I of the 9th Cavalry Regiment when he participated in an engagement in the Cuchillo Negro Mountains of New Mexico. He was cited for […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- June 12th in African American History – Medgar Wiley Evers
- September 11th in African American History – Loletha Elaine Lola Falana
- March 14th in African American History – Richard Berry Harrison
- November 22nd in African American History – Guion “Guy” Bluford, Jr.
- Wilson Brown – January 24th in African American History