January 21, 1963 Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, Hall of Fame basketball player, was born in Lagos, Nigeria. Olajuwon came to the United States to play basketball for the University of Houston where he had a standout career, including winning the 1983 NCAA Tournament Player of the Year Award.
Tag Archives | January 21
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- December 24th in African American History – Dave Bartholomew
- October 14th in African American History – William Boyd Allison Davis
- February 11th in African American History – Daniel “Chappie” James, Jr.
- November 29th in African American History – Coleman Alexander Young
- November 8th in African American History – Lester Bowie
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer