February 21, 1940 John Robert Lewis, civil rights leader and politician, was born in Troy, Alabama. Lewis earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in theology from the American Baptist Theological Seminary in 1961 and another Bachelor of Arts degree in religion and philosophy from Fisk University in 1963.
Tag Archives | February 21
By Chimsima Zuhri on February 21, 2014 in African American History, Civil Rights, February, Politics
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- William DeKova White – January 28th in African American History
- September 6th in African American History – Charles Calvin Rogers
- Chester Arthur Burnett (Howlin’ Wolf) – January 10th in African American History
- November 20th in African American History – Dwight Eugene Stephenson
- February 7th in African American History – Eugene Ashley, Jr.
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer