March 1, 1980 Emmett Littleton Ashford, the first African American umpire in major league baseball, died. Ashford was born November 23, 1914 in Los Angeles, California.
Tag Archives | umpire
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Jester Joseph Hairston – January 18th in African American History
- September 13th in African American History – Michael Duane Johnson
- James Weldon Johnson – June 26th in African American History
- November 22nd in African American History – Guion “Guy” Bluford, Jr.
- Thelma Lucille Sayles (Lucille Clifton) – June 27th in African American History
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer