March 16, 1948 Charlaine Vivian Stringer, hall of fame college basketball coach, was born in Edenborn, Pennsylvania. In high school, Stringer sued her school for not allowing her to be a cheerleader because of her race. She won the case and was given a spot on the cheerleading squad. Stringer earned her Bachelor of Arts […]
Tag Archives | Slippery Rock University
By Chimsima Zuhri on March 16, 2012 in African American History, Author, Education, March, Sports
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- June 15th in African American History – William Arthur Lewis
- October 25th in African American History – James Edward “Jimmy” Heath
- December 20th in African American History – George Edward Chalmer Hayes
- January 5th in African American History – Charles Mingus, Jr.
- March 1st in African American History – Harold George “Harry” Belafonte, Jr.
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer