September 30, 1996 Moneta J. Sleet, Jr., photographer and the first African American to win the Pulitzer Prize for journalism, died. Sleet was born February 14, 1926 in Owensboro, Kentucky. He graduated cum laude from Kentucky State University in 1947 and earned his Master’s degree in journalism from New York University in 1950. Sleet went […]
September 23, 1926 John William Coltrane, jazz saxophonist and composer, was born in Hamlet, North Carolina. In 1945, he enlisted in the United States Navy and played in the Navy jazz band. After returning to civilian life, he began freelancing around Philadelphia. From October, 1955 through April, 1957 Coltrane was part of the Miles Davis […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- June 1st in African American History – Davis Eli “David” Ruffin
- June 3rd in African American History – Koko Taylor
- March 22nd in African American History – Stephanie Dorthea Mills
- September 22nd in African American History – Robert Lee Satcher, Jr.
- February 28th in African American History – James Anderson, Jr.