September 30, 1996 Moneta J. Sleet, Jr., photographer and the first African American to win the Pulitzer Prize for journalism, died. Sleet was born February 14, 1926 in Owensboro, Kentucky. He graduated cum laude from Kentucky State University in 1947 and earned his Master’s degree in journalism from New York University in 1950. Sleet went […]
September 23, 1926 John William Coltrane, jazz saxophonist and composer, was born in Hamlet, North Carolina. In 1945, he enlisted in the United States Navy and played in the Navy jazz band. After returning to civilian life, he began freelancing around Philadelphia. From October, 1955 through April, 1957 Coltrane was part of the Miles Davis […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- November 11th in African American History – Rodney Milburn, Jr.
- November 9th in African American History – The Little Rock Nine
- March 19th in African American History – Mary Cardwell Dawson
- December 23rd in African American History – William Vernell “Willie” Wood, Sr.
- August 12th in African American History – Luther Allison