June 23, 1997 Betty Shabazz, educator and widow of Malcolm X, died. Shabazz was born Betty Dean Sanders on May 28, 1934 in Detroit, Michigan. After high school, she entered Tuskegee Institute and while in Alabama first encountered racism. As a result, Shabazz moved to New York City and enrolled at the Brooklyn State Hospital […]
Tags: Brooklyn State Hospital School of Nursing, Columbia University, Jersey City State College, June 23, May 28, Medgar Evers College, Mount Holyoke College, Tuskegee Institute, University of Massachusetts
June 23, 2003 Maynard Holbrook Jackson, Jr., the first African American mayor of Atlanta, died. Jackson was born March 23, 1938 in Dallas, Texas. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and history from Morehouse College in 1956, at the age of 18. After working several jobs, Jackson earned his law degree […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Elvin Lamont Bethea – March 1st in African American History
- April 21st in African American History – Nina Simone
- December 18th in African American History – Benjamin Oliver Davis, Jr.
- October 28th in African American History – Terrell Lamar Davis
- February 6th in African American History – Arthur Robert Ashe, Jr.