February 17, 1982 Thelonious Monk, jazz pianist and composer, died. Monk was born October 10, 1917 in Rocky Mountain, North Carolina and began playing the piano at the age of six. In the early to mid-1940s, he served as the house pianist at Minton’s Playhouse in Harlem, New York which featured most of the leading […]
October 16, 1990 Arthur “Art” Blakey, jazz drummer and bandleader, died. Blakey was born October 11, 1919 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. By the time he was a teenager he was playing the piano full-time and leading a commercial band. Shortly afterwards, he taught himself to play the drums. In 1947, Blakey recorded with a group led […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- May 28th in African American History – Parren James Mitchell
- Parren James Mitchell – April 29th in African American History
- February 19th in African American History – William “Smokey” Robinson, Jr.
- September 30th in African American History – Moneta J. Sleet, Jr.
- October 6th in African American History – Joseph Echols Lowery