February 25, 1968 Oumou Sangare, the “songbird of Wassoulou,” was born in Bamako, Mali. Sangare was recognized as a gifted singer at the age of five and at 16 she was touring.
Tags: February 25
January 31, 1914 Arnold Raymond Cream (Jersey Joe Walcott), Hall of Fame boxer, was born in Merchantville, New Jersey. Walcott made his professional boxing debut in 1930 and in 1951 won the heavyweight championship at the age of 37. At the time, he was the oldest man to win the heavyweight championship. Over his 23 […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- Julius Arthur Hemphill – April 2nd in African American History
- August 28th in African American History – William Patrick Foster
- September 7th in African American History – James Madison Nabrit, Jr.
- September 4th in African American History – Beyoncé Giselle Knowles
- December 17th in African American History – Cora Mae Brown