February 25, 1968 Oumou Sangare, the “songbird of Wassoulou,” was born in Bamako, Mali. Sangare was recognized as a gifted singer at the age of five and at 16 she was touring.
Tags: February 25
January 31, 1914 Arnold Raymond Cream (Jersey Joe Walcott), Hall of Fame boxer, was born in Merchantville, New Jersey. Walcott made his professional boxing debut in 1930 and in 1951 won the heavyweight championship at the age of 37. At the time, he was the oldest man to win the heavyweight championship. Over his 23 […]
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- October 8th in African American History – John B. McLendon, Jr.
- Vivian Theodore Thomas – August 29th in African American HIstory
- December 23rd in African American History – Esther Mae Jones Phillips
- September 19th in African American History – Benjamin Franklin Peay (Brook Benton)
- September 30th in African American History – John Royce “Johnny” Mathis