January 31, 1914 Arnold Raymond Cream (Jersey Joe Walcott), Hall of Fame boxer, was born in Merchantville, New Jersey. Walcott made his professional boxing debut in 1930 and in 1951 won the heavyweight championship at the age of 37. At the time, he was the oldest man to win the heavyweight championship. Over his 23 […]
Tag Archives | January 31
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- November 22nd in African American History – Guion “Guy” Bluford, Jr.
- February 23rd in African American History – Melvin Franklin
- March 5th in African American History – Robert Henry Jenkins, Jr.
- Jonathon Jasper Wright – February 19th in African American History
- October 23rd in African American History – The National League on Urban Conditions Among Negroes
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer