October 20, 1951 The Johnny Bright Incident occurred when African American football player, Johnny Bright, was violently assaulted by white football player, Wilbanks Smith, during a college football game between Drake University and Oklahoma State University. In 1951, Bright was a pre-season Heisman Trophy candidate and led the nation in total offense. The game marked […]
"National Football League"
By Chimsima Zuhri on October 20, 2010 in African American History, October
Subscribe to TiAAH
African American History Categories
Previous Days in African American History
Other African American History Posts
- January 10th in African American History – Chandra Danette Cheeseborough
- July 9th in African American History – James L. Farmer, Jr.
- Cecil Percival Taylor – March 15th in African American History
- February 26th in African American History – Antoine Dominique “Fats” Domino
- Ella Jane Fitzgerald – April 25th in African American History
Academy Award Air Force All-Star Army athlete baseball Baseball Hall of Fame basketball Broadway civil rights activist Civil Rights Movement College Football Hall of Fame composer Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame educator Emmy Award football Grammy Award Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award International Boxing Hall of Fame jazz Medal of Honor NAACP Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame National Endowment for the Arts National Medal of Arts Navy NEA Jazz Master NFL Olympics painter pianist poet Presidential Medal of Freedom Pro Football Hall of Fame Pulitzer Prize R&B record producer Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer songwriter Spingarn Medal Tony Award World War II writer